Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Assignment Eight - Poem 2

The Bravest Rifle Around

























I'm the bravest rifle around
I been through the mill
And I been dirtied and dropped
But I’m the bravest rifle around

Many a hornet been fired from me
But only one started this war
That was my hornet, my product
I done started the war and I’m proud

Mr. Ruffin’s proud too
He’s the bravest soldier around
No Yank’s gonna pull him down
Cause Mr. Ruffin’s the bravest soldier around

Now what’s gonna happen?
I ‘spect we goin’ to the battlefield
I’m gonna show them Yanks
Me and Mr. Ruffin both

I ain’t ‘sposed to get scared
But me n’ Mr. Ruffin are in deep
War’s bigger than I imagined
I started this bloodbath…

I ain’t proud of this.
I am rightly ashamed of myself.




*******************************
Slang words:
Been through the mill = endured a lot
Hornet = bullet
Yank = Confederate term for a Union soldier

2 comments:

  1. I like the part where the reader thinks there the gun being fired at Fort Sumter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dialect that the rifle has! Excellent poem. Shows understanding of event and times. Again, great use of slang.
    30/30 for this one.

    ReplyDelete